English In Action: Cutoms and Culture conversation

BillNguyen

Most people are surprised when they first encounter the customs and manners of another culture. Listen in on a conversation between Monica and Angelique, a young woman who doesn’t have a lot of experience with cultures other than her own.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Angelique: Hello?<o:p></o:p>
Monica: Hello, Angelique? This is Monica. How are you?<o:p></o:p>
Angelique: Oh, Monica, it’s you. I’m fine, thanks. How are you today?<o:p></o:p>
Monica: I’m fine. I wanted to ask you if you enjoyed the party at the Grahams’ the other night.<o:p></o:p>
Angelique: Oh, yes, I did. Mr. and Mrs. Graham are lovely people.<o:p></o:p>
Monica: Yes, and Mrs. Graham is such a gracious hostess.<o:p></o:p>
Angelique: Yes, you’re right. But Monica, do you mind if I ask you about some things I noticed at the party?<o:p></o:p>
Monica: Of course not!<o:p></o:p>
Angelique: Well, the food was delicious. I really enjoyed it, and I think Mrs. Graham is a great cook.<o:p></o:p>
Monica: Well, both Mr. and Mrs. Graham are great cooks. They both cook, and their food is amazing.<o:p></o:p>
Angelique: Is it. But I was surprised to see the way the guests were eating.<o:p></o:p>
Monica: What do you mean?<o:p></o:p>
Angelique: Well, why did everyone constantly switch back and forth between using the knife and fork? It made me dizzy!<o:p></o:p>
Monica: That’s just the way that people eat here. It’s common to eat that way.<o:p></o:p>
Angelique: And when they weren’t using their hand, they put it in their lap. Where I come from, that’s considered strange. What were they doing there?<o:p></o:p>
Monica: They weren’t doing anything, of course. Here, that’s what you usually do with the hand you’re not using to eat with.<o:p></o:p>
Angelique: And some people even used their fingers to eat certain foods!<o:p></o:p>
Monica: Well, that depends on the food, but it is considered acceptable to eat some foods with your fingers.<o:p></o:p>
Angelique: Also, when I held out my hand to one man, he nearly broke it, and then he pumped it up and down like a water pump! Do people always do that here?<o:p></o:p>
Monica: Well, some people…<o:p></o:p>
Angelique: Oh, and during the dinner, when Mr. Graham offered me more of something, he never offered it again <o:p></o:p>
Monica: Well, if you said no the first time, he probably thought that….<o:p></o:p>
Angelique: And at the end of the party, Mrs. Graham gave me something she called a “ doggie bag.” I was so confused!<o:p></o:p>
Monica: If you said you like her cooking, she probably was trying to be nice. If there’s a lot of food left over after a dinner, Americans will usually offer it to their guests to bring home, rather than waste it. “Doggie bag” is just an expression that….<o:p></o:p>
Angelique: And then…<o:p></o:p>
Monica: Angelique! Let me interrupt for a second. All of these things that you’re bringing up are interesting cultural differences. I hadn’t actually ever thought about them as an outsider; they just seem natural to me, but from your reaction I can tell that they’re not natural to everyone.<o:p></o:p>
Angelique: Oh, no, some of this behavior was very strange!<o:p></o:p>
Monica: Strange to you, natural to me. It sound like we have a great conversation topic! Tell you what, why don’t you come over to my place for dinner this Friday, and we can talk more. It could be very interesting for both of us!<o:p></o:p>
Angelique: That’s a great idea. I would love to. Thank you for the invitation. But Monica, I have just one more question….

ps: Bài học thì ở trên nhưng tôi không có cách nào gởi âm thanh( audio) lên được, ai có cách upload audio lên xin giúp giùm

Sửa lần cuối:

thachthao0710

:D Bác Bill ah cháu có ý kiến thế này nếu đưa file âm thanh và cả bài vậy không tập trung cho lắm vì nghe và nhìn thấy hết rùi ah

BillNguyen

Cám ơn BNN rất nhiều đã giúp đở upload âm thanh lên được, công nhận BNN quá giỏi:-dc/, còn thachthao có thể giải thích thêm chút được không? vì tôi không hiểu ý của thachthao cho lắm

Cám ơn
BN

thachthao0710

Nếu để file âm thanh trước rồi sau đó khoảng 1 ngày sau rồi bài hội thoại sau. Làm như vậy thì khi nghe có đoạn nào hay từ nào nghe không ra làm cho mọi người cố gắng và ngày hôm sau sẽ thấy được những vấn đề đó.

Facebook Comment